Sunday, February 06, 2011

Who would you place your bets on?

The five books nominated for an NAACP Image Award in Autobiography/Biography are:

Conversations with Myself
Authors, Ruth Hobday, Nelson Mandela
Published by Farrar, Straus and Giroux

Decoded
Author, Jay-Z
Published by Spiegel & Garn, a division of Random House

Extraordinary, Ordinary People
Author, Condoleezza Rice
Published by Crown Archetype

You Don’t Know Me: Reflections of My Father, Ray Charles
Author, Ray Charles Robinson, Jr.
Published by Crown

And finally,
I’m Still Standing: From Captive U.S. Soldier to Free Citizen – My Journey Home
Authors, Shoshana Johnson, Mary Doyle
Touchstone, an Imprint of Simon & Schuster
(Had to throw the cover art in here just to remind you of what I'm talking about.)

I’ve heard great things about Decoded and Extraordinary, Ordinary People. The winner is determined by votes cast by members of the NAACP. If I had to guess, I would think that Jay-Z, because of his popularity and because he’s written a great book, is probably the favorite in this category. Condoleezza Rice is also a contender.

I’m excited about going to the awards ceremony and meeting all of these people. I plan to bring a camera with plenty of memory and batteries. I’ll be taking pictures like crazy.

It is true that just being nominated is thrilling and I’m having fun planning to make the trip to L.A. for the big event, but I can’t lie. It sure would be cool to win! : )

Oh and, buy the paperback version of I'm Still Standing here.

No comments: